Once again have I rebuilt this website with a completely different technology stack. This post dives into some of the details.
Almost two years ago I wrote that ideally I would not have to log in to my VPS to update this website. Well, that moment has finally arrived.
I’ve taken the step to removed the comments from my website. In this article I’ll give some stats and offer a bit of an explanation.
Recently I changed the way this website is hosted, served and deployed. I’ll describe what I changed and why I did so.
Last May I published the list of tabs I had open on my phone at that moment in time. This another one of those posts.
Since early April 2013 this blog has moved from a shared hosting environment to a VPS.
For about a month I have served this website using the CloudFlare free plan. This article describes what I observed.
About a month ago I officially migrated this weblog to Acrylamid. This is a first evaluation.
In the last year several people I know or follow have switched to a static weblog. I was in the middle of a redesign myself and thought it was a great opportunity to investigate the concept. The result: I replaced Django with Acrylamid for this site.
Several Pythonistas switched to a static blog this year. If you are also looking into static blog engines, give Acrylamid a go.
As of today I am using Disqus for comments on this site. This meant that I had to migrate the old comments (which used django.contrib.comments) to Disqus. Here’s a short description of how I did this.
Google’s Webmaster Tools provide the modern webmaster/developer with some nice tools to improve a website and the way the site is indexed. In this article I’ll focus on the crawler related tools. Specifically, how they helped me when I migrated from Plone to Django.
After this website migrated from Plone to Django, the comment spammers found my site more interesting. Instead of five spam comments a year, I suddenly got the same amount per week. Although those comments were never published (more on that later), it did annoy me. By no longer displaying the comment form below the blog entries, the problem of the spam seems to be solved. While this wasn’t my goal, it is a nice side effect.
When migrating from Plone to Django, I had problems with editing
weblog entries with a dot in the url. Apparently Django doesn’t allow
dots in a
SlugField. Here’s how I solved it.
This site is now powered by Django instead of Plone. Yes, I’ve finally made the switch!
Time for another small update of my site. I changed some ‘back office stuff’ and improved my blog. Apparently this also triggered some changes in the RSS feed, resulting in older entries popping up again on planet.plone.org. Sorry about that!
A quick fix became an upgrade. :)
I’ve finally taken the time to setup the new vlent.nl website. Plone 3 combined with some add-on products and a bit of customization are the driving forces behind the current incarnation of this site.